Posts Tagged ‘Franchise’
Darksiders 2: The end of a franchise?
I started Darksiders 2 expecting a 10 – 15 hour game, but what I got was a game much much longer than that. The game ended up taking me 27 hours to complete, and I didn’t even come close to completing all the side quests. I played the game on the PC after finding a great deal on Steam over Christmas. The PC port is very basic, with basically no graphic options, and runs at the same resolution that it does on the consoles. The game definitely lacks attention to detail in some areas especially texturing of environments, but you quickly ignore all that when you get sucked into the world.
What I liked:
- I love the loot, every battle had me running around checking each item and changing my loadout.
- Death’s abilities, I love how different the character could play, I chose to be more focused on leveling up minions to do my fighting for me.
- The combat feels so good, simple enough yet still feels like you need to be strategic especially in harder areas.
- The puzzles, always feel fresh and different, even though some are repeated throughout the game. I love the “Zelda” feel of the dungeons.
- The world is amazing, it feels giant and sprawling, with hidden things everywhere.
- Traveling through time, although very basic felt really cool
What I didn’t like:
- Loot really doesn’t change appearance enough ( just slightly )
- Boss battles, really are basic, but they are passable
- Dust doesn’t actually seem to help out as much as I would of liked, there are times he would lead me through endless loops.
- The ending was very disappointing for me, I was hoping for a grand reunion between Death and War.
- Texture quality on PC
- You have to have your controller plugged in before starting the game, or your stuck with Keyboard and mouse controls
I truly will miss this franchise, and I am really sad that THQ is no more, especially after having worked with that publisher with a few of the titles I’ve worked on. I hear the developers from Vigil were snatched up by Crytek, so hopefully something else amazing will come.
I would recommend anyone interested in Darksiders to definitely play this one, but be ready for a fairly long game, although the high points definitely outweigh the lows.
Until next time, let me know what you think of this game.