Posts Tagged ‘THQ’
Darksiders 2: The end of a franchise?
I started Darksiders 2 expecting a 10 – 15 hour game, but what I got was a game much much longer than that. The game ended up taking me 27 hours to complete, and I didn’t even come close to completing all the side quests. I played the game on the PC after finding a great deal on Steam over Christmas. The PC port is very basic, with basically no graphic options, and runs at the same resolution that it does on the consoles. The game definitely lacks attention to detail in some areas especially texturing of environments, but you quickly ignore all that when you get sucked into the world.
What I liked:
- I love the loot, every battle had me running around checking each item and changing my loadout.
- Death’s abilities, I love how different the character could play, I chose to be more focused on leveling up minions to do my fighting for me.
- The combat feels so good, simple enough yet still feels like you need to be strategic especially in harder areas.
- The puzzles, always feel fresh and different, even though some are repeated throughout the game. I love the “Zelda” feel of the dungeons.
- The world is amazing, it feels giant and sprawling, with hidden things everywhere.
- Traveling through time, although very basic felt really cool
What I didn’t like:
- Loot really doesn’t change appearance enough ( just slightly )
- Boss battles, really are basic, but they are passable
- Dust doesn’t actually seem to help out as much as I would of liked, there are times he would lead me through endless loops.
- The ending was very disappointing for me, I was hoping for a grand reunion between Death and War.
- Texture quality on PC
- You have to have your controller plugged in before starting the game, or your stuck with Keyboard and mouse controls
I truly will miss this franchise, and I am really sad that THQ is no more, especially after having worked with that publisher with a few of the titles I’ve worked on. I hear the developers from Vigil were snatched up by Crytek, so hopefully something else amazing will come.
I would recommend anyone interested in Darksiders to definitely play this one, but be ready for a fairly long game, although the high points definitely outweigh the lows.
Until next time, let me know what you think of this game.
I actually sat down tonight and wrote down the list of games I want to play that are already out, games I would like to play through again, and games that i’m most excited for in 2013. The list ended up much longer than I expected primarily because of the steam sales over Christmas that filled my queue of games for the year.
Games I need to play ( kinda in order of how badly I want to play them )
- Ni No Kuni
- Mass Effect 3
- Darksiders 2 ( Almost at the end: Finish )
- Witcher 2
- Legend of Grimrock
- Borderlands 2 ( Currently Level 18: Finish )
- Max Payne 3
- Alan Wake
- Civilization V
- Sleeping Dogs
- Fire Emblem: The Awakening
- The Walking Dead
- Saints Row: The Third
- Tropico 4
- Space Marine
- Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood
- Batman Arkham City
- Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
- Dota 2
- Company of Heroes Tales of Valor campaign
Games that I would love to play through again
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown ( I love this game )
- Skyrim ( I want to roll a new character maybe try some DLC )
- Company of Heroes ( Lets prepare for COH2 )
Short list of games i’m super excited for this year
- Heart of the Swarm
- Company of Heroes 2 ( Please still come out )
- Dead Space 3
- Bioshock Infinite
I’ve already got Heart of the Swarm preordered, I am itching to play that one. I really hope COH2 comes out this year after the sad news with THQ. I’m sure I missed some of the games that are due out this year, but honestly it seems like a slow year in releases, but I think the reason is primarily because the new consoles are right around the corner 🙂
Let me know what games are on your list for this year.