Posts Tagged ‘video game’
Darksiders 2: The end of a franchise?
I started Darksiders 2 expecting a 10 – 15 hour game, but what I got was a game much much longer than that. The game ended up taking me 27 hours to complete, and I didn’t even come close to completing all the side quests. I played the game on the PC after finding a great deal on Steam over Christmas. The PC port is very basic, with basically no graphic options, and runs at the same resolution that it does on the consoles. The game definitely lacks attention to detail in some areas especially texturing of environments, but you quickly ignore all that when you get sucked into the world.
What I liked:
- I love the loot, every battle had me running around checking each item and changing my loadout.
- Death’s abilities, I love how different the character could play, I chose to be more focused on leveling up minions to do my fighting for me.
- The combat feels so good, simple enough yet still feels like you need to be strategic especially in harder areas.
- The puzzles, always feel fresh and different, even though some are repeated throughout the game. I love the “Zelda” feel of the dungeons.
- The world is amazing, it feels giant and sprawling, with hidden things everywhere.
- Traveling through time, although very basic felt really cool
What I didn’t like:
- Loot really doesn’t change appearance enough ( just slightly )
- Boss battles, really are basic, but they are passable
- Dust doesn’t actually seem to help out as much as I would of liked, there are times he would lead me through endless loops.
- The ending was very disappointing for me, I was hoping for a grand reunion between Death and War.
- Texture quality on PC
- You have to have your controller plugged in before starting the game, or your stuck with Keyboard and mouse controls
I truly will miss this franchise, and I am really sad that THQ is no more, especially after having worked with that publisher with a few of the titles I’ve worked on. I hear the developers from Vigil were snatched up by Crytek, so hopefully something else amazing will come.
I would recommend anyone interested in Darksiders to definitely play this one, but be ready for a fairly long game, although the high points definitely outweigh the lows.
Until next time, let me know what you think of this game.
Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm is quickly approaching release so I want to take some time and preview the differences I’ve noticed after playing a lot of the Beta. Please note this is a beta so things I write about may no longer be valid in the build your playing or the final shipped version.
My Starcraft 2 History
I have played Starcraft 2 WOL since release mainly as Terran. I do have an account for each race though. I have roughly 4000 games of 1v1 played in Wings of Liberty. I have reached Masters 2 seasons as Terran, while Diamond is my highest ranking for Protoss and Zerg.
I have had the HOTS beta for a little over a month now and have roughly 100 games played so far. I have played as all 3 races, although I am still more skilled with Terran.
I know the one thing everyone wants to hear about is the new units. I have played with and against all the new units so I’ll start going through one by one.
Initially I was really excited about the idea of the battle hellion, but I feel like it fails to accomplish what it was set out to do which is make mech viable again. The battle hellion is a great at absorbing damage and the fact that it can be healed by medivacs is insane, but sticking it into a ball of bio just doesn’t work as I was hoping. (more…)
I unfortunately did not get the chance to play all the big games from 2012, so the first list I want to put out there is the games I plan on playing in 2013 that came out in 2012.
To begin with I want to start with the top 5 games from 2012 that I didn’t have the chance to play yet.
#1 Mass Effect 3
Ninja: Feet of Fury is out on IOS, Android, and the Amazon App Store now. We just released a huge update with improved graphics and lots of other improvements. If you like Runner games you should check this one out, my kids are addicted to it.
Check out the awesome trailer Kurt put together.
Over the weekend I finished my first play through of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, so I wanted to share my impressions of this classic remake.
I have worked on games for the last 7 years, and last year the company I was currently employed at was finishing up Scary Girl for XBLA, PS3, and Steam, so I felt like it was time to start looking for another job. One of the lead engineers contacted me to see if I was come to work on some mystery project. At the time I was super hyped about getting the chance to go work at Firaxis, but after talking it over with my wife and family they felt it best that we stay here in Wisconsin while my wife finished up her nursing degree. After finding out what this “mystery project” was it makes me highly regret not trying for the job. Although I really hate interviews its a killer on the nerves, and generally everything that can go wrong does for me when I fly out to one, but thats a different story so there is no guarantee I would of gotten it, but I’d like to think I would of. (more…)